Saturday, February 2, 2013

OCC Lip Tars in Anime, Black Dahlia, and Lydia ❤ Swatches, Reviews and Photos!

For the longest time, OCC Lip Tars were like a distant, far-off love. I enviously stared at swatches on websites, watched videos of people wearing and using them, and sighed, resigning myself to the fact that they would one day be mine.

One day came much sooner than I was expecting when I got two Lip Tars as Christmas presents! I was ecstatic then, but when I realized that Sephora sold Lip Tars online as well I got a third one in the shade I had drooled over the most, Black Dahlia.

(Just a warning - this post is very picture-heavy!)



First off, I have to say that I love the Sephora packaging for the Lip Tars - the convenient little bag with the card that tells the user exactly how to apply the Tar, and how much. Though it advocates using the clear OCC Lip Tar, I decided against getting it. The little brushes that come with the Lip Tar are also very handy, since I didn't own a *real* lip brush that would work with these.

Out of all of the shades I got, I think Anime is definitely my favorite. I am a complete sucker for bright pink lipsticks. The packaging from the OCC website wasn't quite as handy as the Sephora packaging, with the lip tars wrapped in bubble wrap, but it's nothing that I would get upset over. Lydia and Anime each came with their own small lip brush as well, which really does work well in applying the product, and also ensures that you don't get too much on it (since Lip Tars require only a small amount to cover the entirety of your lips.)





All Lip Tars have a minty smell and taste to them, which is fine by me, since I love anything minty.

Anime is a florescent pink that is definitely BRIGHT. It's definitely a perfect Barbie hot pink, as opposed to a bright blue-based pink. The closest color I have to it in my collection is Covergirl's Spellbound/325, one of my all-time favorite lipsticks, but even then Spellbound is a bit more purple-toned.


Anime is the middle color - to its left is the Milani Lip Flash Pencil in 06 Flashy, Covergirl's Lip Perfection Lipstick in 325 Spellbound is to its right, and above it is Revlon's Lip Butter in 075 Lollipop.
As you can see, Anime is more of a true hot pink compared to Spellbound, and less shiny/glittery than Lollipop or Flashy.




These last two pictures were taken in natural lighting, and really help to bring out the purple in some of these shades.


Lydia is a more sheer color compared to Anime, and is a nice dusty mauve-y purple. I didn't get any pictures of it on its own, but simply took pictures of all three lip tars together.


From left to right: Lydia, Anime, and Black Dahlia.



Lydia really reminds me of what Tarte's Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed would look like as a lip product (with a tiny bit more purple.) Because Lydia is sheerer, it's not overly noticeable on the lips, at least for me. If you have strong pigmentation in your lips already, it may not be worth picking up. I want to try using Lydia with a corresponding lip pencil or primer underneath in the future, to try and get a better color payoff.

Black Dahlia was a bit of a disappointment for me. It's a gorgeous deep plum color with hints of deep red as well, but it's SO DIFFICULT to get on evenly! I didn't have any problem with getting Anime to apply evenly, but Black Dahlia would settle into any crease it could find, and was extremely patchy on my lips. No matter how hard I tried to get even coverage, it seemed to have issues.


Not the cutest picture, but here you can see what I mean by uneven coverage. It also bled a bit, so I may need to use a wax border liner next time I try it as well. I'm determined to make it work somehow!

As you can see, I got a bit of a mixed bag with my OCC Lip Tar experience. I love Anime, like Lydia, and want to love Black Dahlia (but am conflicted, for obvious reasons.) I may try and update this post later with pictures of the products on my lips (and hopefully a better picture of Black Dahlia!)


No comments:

Post a Comment